8/09/2011

3, 2, 1...GO! (And an Invitation)

"Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it.  Boldness has genius and power and magic in it."  -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Well, folks...today is the day.  Today begins a year without my beloved (and also hated) crutches: alcohol, caffeine, and sugar.  Goethe's quote rings true for me on the eve of any great journey or endeavor.  It reaffirms what I know to be true...that we are all so much stronger and more capable than we give ourselves credit for.  So, I begin my journey, hoping for something great and still open to anything that comes my way.

I had sushi last night with one of my dearest friends.  Yes, we ate a "Multiple Orgasm Roll" that was, in fact, slathered with mayonnaise and then fried (it was delicious), and no, I did not have any alcohol or sugar or even caffeine.  It was the best "Last Supper" ever.  He asked me what I thought would happen during my challenge...and what amendments I may have made for myself to survive the year.  My response was simple.  I don't know.  I guess that's the beauty of it.  This will be a journey with highs and lows.  I think I will feel successful if I do my best in each moment and if I have learned more about myself and changed a bit for the better at the end.


A bonus that has surprised me are the people who have reached out to me and let me know that my challenge has inspired a personal challenge of their own.  I strongly believe that a like-minded community is the key to success so I'd like to spend a few lines acknowledging these amazing individuals who have taken it upon themselves to recognize a need in their lives and take action around it. 

Me and my bro with our last brews
My brother, KC , was the first person to respond to my very first post.  Here's what he said:  "That is an awesome goal to set for yourself and I am sure there will be struggles and times where you think you can't do without the "crutches" anymore, but it is worth it in the end.  I know from recent experience. My worst "crutch" was chewing for the last nine years, yeah holy sh*t nine years. I had similar if not the same feelings you have, but since I have quit chewing I never looked back (for two months), and I feel great about it. I know there will still be temptation and there already has been, but I continue to tell myself it is not worth it not even once. I was extremely scared about facing my stresses without my "crutch", but it really was not bad at all and I actually think I deal with my problems far better than I did before.  I also "crutch" myself with alcohol and not necessarily sweets, but junk food. I will also be challenging myself to do without alcohol and also keep to a strict paleo diet. I am thinking of starting in a week."  His start date was an inspiration to me to resist my urge to procrastinate and to begin today as well.  Thank you K.C. and huge kudos for giving up alcohol and junk food.  I know you can do it!

Last latte...goodbye my loooove!
My mom showed up on Facebook with the following comment: "I'm so proud of you! I'm inspired to start my "Mindful Eating" (book/CD) centering awareness in one's own body-mind wisdom; identifying habits and patterns with food while growing in gratitude and compassion. Your journey has inspired me to stop procrastinating! I start today. I know you can do this! You're being true to your soul's hunger for growth and balance...PURA VIDA!"  My mother is one of the most courageous and strong people I know.  She teaches me more every day.  I know you can do it, Mama!

Steve, also known as "Scuba", is giving up energy drinks...he usually has 1-2 a day to make it through his work day.  He's starting today.  Amazing!  Scuba, I have no doubt in my mind that you will make those energy drinks your bitch.  =)

 My sister, Janelle, is starting an eight week strict Paleo challenge today!  She and I challenged each other a year ago to eight weeks strict Paleo.  I was one of my favorite periods of time with her.  We grew stronger and fitter and happier together.  Despite our polar oppositeness, we grew incredibly close on our foundation of healthy choices.  I am so proud of her and I know she will blow this challenge out of the water! 

If you connected with any of these stories and recognize an area you'd like to improve, here is your chance!  The Invitation:  I invite anyone who recognizes a need in their life to be bold, take action, and start being a better you today.  (Cheesy, but true!)  If you are inspired to make a change, big or small, in your life...post your own personal challenge in the comments and begin your journey! 

3 comments:

karl303 said...

Great challenge! I'll join with no booze until after velodrome nationals and a consistently earlier bedtime.

Starting in 3, 2, 1... now. ZZZ... zzz...

Tiffany said...

Yay Karl! That's awesome. When are nationals?

karl303 said...

Nationals are Sept-28 to Oct-2 at the Home Depot Center, just across the street from the field where the skills tests were at the games. If someone had a 250-meter softball throw, they would have hit the velodrome building.